Over the last couple of months, I’ve been experiencing something a bit foreign to me. A few things, actually. Firstly, I’ve been off journeying in the otherworld of cardigan. I’ve shared with you my time in Sleeveland, Backville and East and West Frontdales. Since my last report
, I’ve been to Seaming Heights and Collar Ridge too (can you believe it?!).
The other thing foreign to me is that I’ve been experiencing (relative) project monogamy. I have never, by any means, been a monogamous knitter. You just need to look at my WIP list in the sidebar to see that I can’t resist having a bunch of projects on the sticks. And having so many WIPS is no barrier to starting something else new. But I’ve discovered that, with a baby in the house, if I’m going to get any projects finished, I pretty much just need to work on that one thing until it’s done. And then start on the next one … (although I do still have a couple of other projects at hand in case I need a portable project or, you know, I get bored, or whatever).
And guess what happens when you practice project monogamy? You get an FO! Who’da thunk it!!
by Jesse Loesberg, from Knitty Fall 2008. A simple raglan cardigan, knit in pieces, with a zipper up the front. I know I could have avoided seaming by knitting this all in one piece, but when I started it a week before Connor arrived, I really wasn’t up to converting the pattern, especially as I’ve never converted a pattern in this way before (although I reckon I could do it now if I was to knit another raglan cardigan!). I also don’t mind knitting a garment in pieces, because even though in the end it’s the same amount of knitting, it somehow seems to be quicker when you just work on a piece at a time – shorter rows and faster growth – not to mention more portable.
Yarn: Good old Cascade 220 – just under 6 x 100g skeins in Olive Heathers (9448), and about 50g in 9408 Cordovan (brown). Love lovely Cascade. Knits up quickly, wears well, looks great. And is very economical! I’ve said it before, but if I had to, I think I’d be quite happy to only knit with c220 forever!
Sticks: I used 4.5mm KnitPicks Harmony Options for the main parts, and 4mm for the cuffs, collar and turned hem on the body.
Time: 1 May 2010 – 6 August 2010 (well, I have to confess…I haven’t sewn in the zipper yet…but I’m still counting this as an FO!!)
Modifications: The original pattern uses the contrast yarn for the sleeves and collar, and the turned hem. Husby wasn’t so keen on this look, so I just used the contrast yarn on the sleeve cuff edges, the turned hem, and the edges of the collar – I like the original but I’m also very happy with the way this has turned out too. I also did a provisional cast on for the body pieces, so I could turn the hem as I knit, rather than seaming it at the end, as specified by the pattern.
If I was to make it again, I would probably convert it to be seamless and knit from the top down, but you know, I am pretty proud of my seaming!!
Since it was a lovely sunny winter’s day today, we walked up to the park today for the photo shoot – here’s an action shot on the way home (you’ll have to believe me about the sun, it was getting a bit later in the day by the time I took this photo).
And here’s my boys in their knitwear:
(I have enough of the c220 leftover to make a matching version for the little guy, which I’ll do for next year I think, much to husby’s horror, heh heh!)