It took me until mid-November to put into action my decision – which was to keep it – I turned the brim up and stitched it in place with a few small stitches. I thought about adding a big button for trim, but decided I could use a brooch (and change it as my mood takes me).
I think it’s ok…
Yarn: Colinette Iona in Ginger Cinnabar – about 70g and because I didn’t think I’d have enough of the Iona, Malabrigo Worsted in Sealing Wax – about 25g. I used the Malabrigo for the turned under part of the brim (which is knit first). I think, as it turns out, I would have had enough of the Iona, but I quite like the contrast of the orangey red Malabrigo with the ginger Iona.
Sticks: 4.5mm bamboo 40cm circular and bamboo dpns for the top of the hat decreases. I forgot to change needle sizes for the body of the hat, which would have made it a bit less slouchy. Oh well…
Time: 10 July 2010 – 16 July 2010 (for the knitting) – then another, oh, 10 minutes on 14 November to sew in ends and stitch up the brim! Yep, it’s called procrastination, and I am an expert at it!
Modifications: the popular mods by Solaris are designed to make the brim stand out a bit more than the original pattern – I’m sure it would have worked for me if I’d only read them properly and changed needle sizes! I also did a provisional cast on to make the fixing down of the turn under brim easier (knit it as you go, rather than seaming it at the end).
And it only took me a month after finishing it to actually blog it! At least I can wear it next winter! And it’s one WIP down in my WIP-athon