Some time ago (almost a year!) I went on a journey to the Land of Cardigan. I might have told you that my journey was ended, but really, I had yet to scale the highest peak of Mt Putting-in-a-Zipper. It was a daunting daunting journey, hence my need to have a good long think about it over the summer. Who needs a thick cardi in summer anyway, right?
Well, summer came and went. And so did autumn. And when winter hit, husby’s plaintive question “have you put the zipper in my cardi yet?” got to me and I decided it was time to put on my protective gear, get out the ropes and crampons (all that is scaling mountain talk, right?) and tackle that peak.
I had husby take Connor out for the day, because I knew it was going to be an all day task. At the very least. And I needed some space to spread things out, and some time to percolate the various tutorials I’d read about putting zippers into garments. And make sure I could find the cardi, and the zip and the thread (both the zip and thread I’d purchased some time ago. Maybe during that summer of thinking…)
I started by pinning the zip into the opening. I put the pins in wrong, I know. I realised that about half way through. But my back was already sore from the kneeling and bending, so I figured it’d be ok.
And then I started sewing – by hand! I was maybe 1/3 of the way done on the first side when I realised I was doing my backstitch wrong. There was no way I was going to unpull what I’d already done (sewing in zippers is slow going!!) so I just did it the right way after that. And you know what, you can’t tell anyway! (But I did feel better doing it correctly, I must say!!)
It took AGES! AGES I tell you. At least 4 hours I think. Possibly more, I think I have blocked it out of my head. I was a bit worried it would bubble when the zipper was done up on the body. But I was most pleased when husby put it on and (a) the zipper worked and (b) it didn’t bubble!
If I were to do it again, I’d put the edge of the garment over the zipper closure (it is knit with an edging for this purpose). I was worried I’d get the edging caught in the zipper and wouldn’t do it evenly, so I just lined it up with the outside edge of the zip.
But apart from that, I’m quite pleased with how it went. And let’s face it, there is unlikely to be an again. If I’m faced with another visit to Mt Putting-in-a-Zipper, I’m pretty sure I’m going to pay someone else to do it!