As winter was drawing to a close, I started to feel a little guilty about the amount of knitting (or, more accurately, the lack of knitting) for Connor. So I thought I’d better rectify that and set aside August as Knit for Connor Month!
I have managed to get 3 things done (well, the third is almost done, heh!) and each will be transitional pieces into spring and will also, I hope, fit him next year as well.
Pattern: Pembroke vest by Kirsten Kapur. A lovely, classic and free pattern which goes from 6mo to 8yo (I made the size 2). I do love a good cable, and this vest has cables aplenty! I wish there was a better way of managing cables and decreases, as it can look a bit funny to just stop cabling, but I’m not sure whether there are better alternatives (please enlighten me, if you know!)
Yarn: I had 3 x50g balls of the blue yarn, Karabella Aurora 8 (col 1555) and 20g of the white in the same yarn. And I used it all, except for about 10g of the blue. I wasn’t sure if I would have enough blue for the vest, so I decided to do the ribbing in the white. And I knit the front first, as I figured if the cables ate up lots of yarn, I could do the back plain. But as it turns out, it was the white I ran short of, so the neckband ribbing is blue and white stripes. Which I think is quite effective, if I do say so myself!
Oh, and can I just say, I love this yarn! So soft and lovely to knit with, and shows up a cable so beautifully. And makes such a beautiful sproingy fabric. Yum yum yum. One of the balls did have a couple of knots in it, quite close together, which I discovered when I was knitting the neckband. Grrr, more ends to sew in! I’d still use this yarn again though, just lovely.
Sticks: 3.75 and 4.5mm KnitPicks Harmony Options.
Time: 14 – 26 August 2011. I am amazed at how quick I knit this. Especially as I discovered when I’d finished the front that I had done the armhole decreases on the neck, and the neck decreases on the armholes. GAH! What an idiot! So I lost a day and a bit in unpulling and re-knitting these (yes, you heard right, I actually frogged and re-knit!)
|Bottom one re-done … much better!
Modifications: I used short rows on the shoulder shaping so I could do a 3 needle bind off but otherwise knit the pattern as written. If I was to knit it again, I would change the ribbing so that the pattern flows neatly out of the ribbing.
I wasn’t sure I liked the middle cable (some people on ravelry have actually changed it for a different cable) but the more I look at it now, the more I like it. In particular, I like how it is designed to open out at the neckline, the designer has placed it really well on the front.
I’m very happy with this pattern, the yarn works so beautifully with the cables. In fact, I liked it so much I might just pull out my hibernating Must Have cardigan, which also uses this yarn, and get back into the cabley aurora 8-y goodness!