I have some big projects on the go at the moment, so not a lot to show for my crafting time, but fortunately I ave a few projects that I finished much earlier in the year that I haven’t blogged about yet, and they are just too nice to o show off just a little bit. So a bit f catch up is in order.
First up is this vest, which I adore:
(No doubt the adorability factor is increased exponentially by the very cute model!)
Pattern: Button Through Vest by Patons Australia, from their pattern book #1307 Kids’ Classics: for children aged 2-10 years – this is a really good book with classic but modern garments for girls and boys. I am sure I will be making more of the patterns from this for the boys as they grow.
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino, 2 (or maybe 3?) balls of red (340034) and one of grey (340009). I think. It was a whole ago that I finished, but I’ve tried to be pretty good at keeping details updated in Ravelry, at least! I had the red in stash, but had to buy the grey. So it kind of counts as a stashbuster!
(I thought he’d like the pockets) (my first time doing integrated pockets on a knit garment – it was fun, and much easier than I expected just from reading the instructions – I really have to do something, I can’t “get” it without actually doing it at the same time as reading the instructions).
Time: 3 April – 29 May 2013 – I actually thought I finished it more recently than that! I do know it had over 30 ends to sew in – ugh! That’s the problem with a contrast trim and a garment made in pieces – but I do think it was worth it.
Sticks: 3mm and 3.25mm – I could perhaps have used a size larger, the fabric is fairly firm (even though they are the needles recommended for the yarn). I made the size 4 and it’s really quite snug, even after blocking.. I should have swatched, right?!
Modifications: As always, I made it longer than specified. Connor is a bit tall, but I think many baby and toddler patterns are just too short. And a bit of extra length gives room to grow, especially as kids at his stage tend to grow up not out. I do hope it will still fit him next year, as he didn’t end up wearing it at all this year, for reasons which are not entirely clear to me (even though they should be, since I mostly pick his clothes each day – although he’s already exerting some control in that area, which I mostly go along with).
I also changed the bands around the armholes and around the front from a thin ribbed piece knit separately and sewn on (why, oh why would you do that!) to garter bands knitted on to the garment. The ribbed bands were cute, but I dislike knitting ribbing and sewing quite enough to avoid them! I think I added an extra buttonhole as well, I can’t recall now.
I don’t know how photographers get toddlers and small children to stand still for the purpose of photo shoots! I guess, like me, they take thousands of shots in the hope they get a couple of non-blurry, usable ones, heh!